Green roof (Vegetable)
The green roof is a structure that is covered with vegetation. It is usually a flat roof or a roof with a very small slope. This alternative is very appreciated for its freshness, especially when the weather is nice. Especially since it is an ecological solution that helps limit the effects of pollution.
The characteristics of the green roof
This structure is often adopted for its aesthetic appeal. But it also has some practical features. Indeed, it is a roof that can contribute to the waterproofing and insulation of different types of buildings: residential, commercial, industrial or institutional.
There are three different types of green roof plantings:
- Intensive: this planting is characterized by a deep substrate supported by a resistant structure. Different varieties of plants can grow there, be it vegetables, flowers or trees;
- Semi-intensive: the substrate is lighter for this type of planting. There is a choice between herbs and flowers in terms of what crops to consider;
- Extensive: the substrate is the lightest of all. The roof will then accommodate only a few plants. This is the most affordable plantation in terms of price.
Get a free quote
in less than 24 hours
How to maintain a green roof?
Maintaining a worm roof is quite demanding, compared to another structure such as a shingle roof or a metal roof. In all cases, maintenance must be undertaken on a regular basis and the insurer must be informed.
Various measures must be taken to optimize maintenance:
- For an intensive plantation: an irrigation system is set up and maintained by a technician. The owner must, for his part, be assiduous in watering;
- For extensive planting: regular weeding is required and the waterproofing membrane must be repaired as soon as necessary.
The advantages and disadvantages of a green roof
A worm roof has many advantages:
- Optimal thermal insulation
- Acoustic insulation assured
- Comfort of the inhabitants
- Reduction of energy costs
- Aesthetics and charm of the building
- Ecological structure
- Fight against pollution
- Regulation of flows caused by rainwater
However, there are some limitations to be aware of in relation to green roofs:
- Quite high price
- Complicated implementation
- Constraining maintenance
When it comes to installation and maintenance or possible repairs, you can call on our technicians at Toiture Couvreur Saint-Sauveur. Our craftsmen can inspect your structures and will recommend the steps to be taken according to the situation found.
Do not hesitate to fill out the free quote form available on our platform to let us know your needs and requests. We can take care of various jobs and interventions, including snow removal from roofs.
Get a free quote now
Response within 24 hours
Quality work done right the first time
Available everywhere in Saint-Sauveur and on the North Shore of Montreal